Mostly responsible for developing plans & specifications for capital improvement projects, the Engineering Division of the Mono County Department of Public Works also performs the statutory duties of Airport Engineer, County Surveyor, and Floodplain Administrator for Mono County. In addition, the Engineering Division assists the Community Development Department with the review of land development projects. For information on current Requests for Qualifications (RFQ's), or Requests for Bids (RFB's) go to the county's Bid Management System website.
MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN FY 2016-2017
As part of an overall Pavement Preservation Project, this year paved county roads were field evaluated and rated on condition. Resulting data was then compiled and analyzed to determine priorities and best use of available funds to help maintain Mono County's most valuable asset, it's paved roads ($275,000,000). Working with county road staff along with the assistance of contracted surveyors and construction crews, the Engineering Division oversaw the completion of the following;
- Bryant Field and Lee Vining Airport - Tie-down and apron areas resurfacing
- Emergency Repairs due to Spring run-off - paid for by Disaster Funds
- Crowley Lake Drive - Pavement patch and shoulder rebuild west of Tom's Place
- Lower Rock Creek Road - Eroded sections and ditches repaired
- June Lake Highlands Roads (Mtn. Vista Dr., Highlands Dr., Highlands Place, and Alpenglow) - Crack seal, slurry and paint striping
- Northshore Drive - Crack seal, slurry and paint striping
Two major facilities projects have been started by Staff; the proposed South County Civic Center, and the Bridgeport Jail Project. Both projects are in the early planning and design phases with anticipated project completion in approximately five years. Additionally, several road improvement projects will begin as listed on the Projects & Notices webpage.
Other current projects include:
- Upper Summers Meadow Road Bridge Replacement - Last winter's Run-off resulted in the bridge's collapse. Reconstruction was completed as of April 16th.
- Systemic Safety Analysis Report (SSARP) - to be completed by the end of June of 2018.
- Highway Bridge Program Inventory Update - will provide bridge ratings and guidelines for upcoming bridge rehabilitation projects throughout Mono County.