General Assistance

GA Help

General Assistance (GA) provides cash aid to indigent adults and emancipated minors who are legal residents of Mono County and who have no other means of support. It is a state-mandated program that is locally administered and funded by the County of Mono.

Many GA recipients may also be eligible for Medi-Cal benefits and Food Stamp benefits of up to $194 per month for a single person.

All GA benefits are considered a loan to the individual receiving aid. GA recipients must sign a reimbursement agreement as a condition of eligibility. Employable recipients may participate in employment service activities.

GA recipients who are permanently disabled and/or 62 years and older are required to apply for Social Security benefits or Supplemental Security Insurance (SSI) through the Social Security Administration.

Applicants and recipients may have up to $1,000 in personal property. The cash surrender value on a life insurance policy is counted as part of the personal property limit for an individual.

How To Apply

There are several options available. You can request an application be mailed to you, pick one up at any of our county offices.