Department of Social Services Civil Rights Division

Civil Rights

Contact Information

Mailing Address:
PO Box 2969, Mammoth Lakes, CA  93546
Attention: Civil Rights and Complaint Coordinator

Phone: (760) 924-1780
The Mono County Department of Social Services (DSS) has a Civil Rights Coordinator to handle your complaints of discrimination based on race, color, national origin, ethnic group, identification, religion, political affiliation, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, age, or disability. If you feel that you are the victim of discrimination, please contact the Mono County DSS Coordinator.


If you believe your civil rights have been violated in the Medi-Cal program, by a doctor, nurse, hospital or managed care company, then you should call the Ombudsman’s office. The ombudsman’s number is 1-888-452-8609. They can also be reached by email at


If you have a complaint regarding a worker or other DSS staff member, but do not feel that this person treated you differently because of your race, gender, disability or other protected status, this differs from a civil rights complaint. The best way to resolve a complaint regarding your worker or other staff member is to speak with the worker’s direct supervisor. To find out who your worker’s supervisor is, you can call (760) 924-1770 and tell the operator your worker’s name and that you would like the name and number of the worker’s direct supervisor. You can also ask any worker for their supervisor’s name and number. All workers asked should provide this information. If you have already spoken with the supervisor and are still unhappy, you can call the Complaint Coordinator to get contact information for the Program Manager and/or Director.

Links to Other Resources and Complaint Forms:

California Department of Health Services - Ombudsman

State of California – Health and Human Services Agency Complaint of Discrimination Form

US Department of Health and Human Services Office of Civil Rights


PUB 13: Your Rights under California Welfare Programs

Mono County Department of Social Services programs are administered based on State and Federal law and regulations, including Title VI of the Civil Right Act of 1964, and California Department of Social Services Manual of Policies and Procedures Division 21. The Publication (PUB) 13 pamphlet describes your rights and explains what you can do if you have a complaint. The information is for persons applying for, receiving, or who have received aid or services.

View the PUB 13 document

Your Right Pub 13