Solid Waste FAQ's

Question graphic

Below you will find answers to the most frequently asked questions about the Solid Waste system in Mono County, the closing of Benton Landfill, along with links to additional resources.


1. Can I pay my bill online?

Yes - click here.

These fees are not administered by the tax collector and are collected by a third party. The fees are as follows: E-Checks-FREE / Credit or Debit cards is 2.38% of the bill.

2. How do I dispose of wood, soil, trash, metal, appliances, oil, hazardous waste, etc?

The best way to determine how to dispose of a given item, and the associated cost for dumping the item (including items that are accepted for no charge) can be found by looking through the Fee Summary for the landfill or transfer station you wish to visit.

3. I want garbage service. Who provides this service in Mono County?

For regular garbage collection and ordering of dumpsters for specific needs, there are two businesses that are permitted to offer these services in the County: Mammoth Disposal (760) 934-2201, and D&S Waste Removal (775) 463-3090.

For residential recycling service, contact Mammoth Disposal.

4. What can I recycle in Mono County?

Mono County facilities provide recycling bins for glass containers, plastic (#1-#2), aluminum, and corrugated cardboard. All of these items can be dropped off for free at County transfer stations. See our recycling page for additional information.  

5. Why don't I get paid for recyclables at the Transfer Stations?

The County’s program was designed in order to encourage and enable recycling in the county, but the infrastructure that facilitates the marketing of recyclables (scales, crushers, balers, storage and transportation) have not yet been invested in. With the County’s current infrastructure, the cost of transportation of the materials is greater than the price the county receives for the materials once delivered to market.

6. I need to go to the dump. Where is the closest Landfill or Transfer Station?

See the Landfill and Transfer Station page for details on these facilities.

7. What are the hours of operations for Landfills and Transfer Stations?

See the Landfill and Transfer Station page for details on these facilities.

8. Where can I collect free wood chips?

Wood waste from yard trimmings, brush and tree removal, dimensional lumber and other wood products, is stockpiled at certain county facilities where it is chipped for beneficial re-use. When available (chips are not always available), residents can collect these chips for personal use. Anyone interested in collecting the chips must first sign a wood chip release form, after which they can use hand tools to load vehicles with the chips. Chips are available for collection at the Walker LF/TS, Bridgeport TS, and Pumice Valley LF/TS.

9. How do I obtain a wood waiver to dispose of wood waste?

See the wood waiver page for additional information on the County's wood waiver program.

10. How can I report illegal dumping?

To report illegal dumping, please call (760) 932-5453 and the information will be forwarded to the relevant enforcement agency.

11. How can I get rid of an old vehicle?

Pumice Valley LF will dispose of your old vehicle for a fee; be sure to provide a title.  Or you can donate your old vehicle here:

FAQ about Benton Crossing Landfill Closure

12. When did Benton Crossing Landfill close?

The last day that Benton Crossing Landfill was open to the public was December 31, 2022.

13. What do I do with my trash now that Benton Crossing Landfill is closed?

If you currently contract for Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) curbside pickup by one of the County’s two franchise solid waste haulers (D&S Waste Removal or Mammoth Disposal) your service will continue uninterrupted, and you do not need to do anything different. Likewise, if you self-haul your MSW to one of the County’s six existing solid waste transfer stations (Pumice Valley, Benton, Chalfant, Walker, Bridgeport or Paradise), there will be no change.

However, if you have historically self-hauled your MSW to Benton Crossing Landfill, starting January 1, 2023, you will need to self-haul your MSW to one of the County’s six solid waste transfer stations (Pumice Valley, Benton Crossing, Chalfant, Walker, Bridgeport or Paradise), self-haul to the Mammoth Disposal Transfer Station in Mammoth Lakes, or sign up for curbside collection by one of the County’s two franchise haulers.

14. Where is Pumice Valley Landfill and Transfer Station?

Pumice Valley Landfill and Transfer Station is located south of Lee Vining.From Highway 395 travel east on Highway 120 for two miles, make a left (north) onto Dross Road and travel about 0.4 miles to the gate, which is on the right.

15. What is the difference between a landfill and a transfer station?

Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) is buried at a landfill.In contrast, MSW is not buried at a transfer station but is instead temporarily stored until it can be transferred to a landfill for burial. Pumice Valley Landfill and Transfer Station has historically served as a landfill for Construction and Demolition (C&D) waste, and also as a transfer station for MSW. C&D waste delivered to Pumice Valley is buried onsite. MSW is transferred to a landfill for burial.Pumice Valley will continue to function in this same manner after December 31, 2022.

16. Will I pay more money to drop off my Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) after December 31?

Typical costs to the residential customer will be the same. However, if you historically self-hauled your Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) to Benton Crossing Landfill and you do not sign up for curbside collection, you will now need to drive to a different location to drop off your trash. D&S Waste Removal and Mammoth Disposal both provide Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) curbside collection in Mono County.Details can be accessed here.

17. Are the costs at the other disposal sites the same as the costs at Benton Crossing Landfill and Transfer Station?

Yes – for most Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) disposal the costs will be the same.Very large loads, however, may incur additional costs.

18. Can I have someone collect Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) directly from my home?

D&S Waste Removal and Mammoth Disposal both provide Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) curbside collection in Mono County.Details can be accessed here.

19. Will the County add new services or hours to address the Benton Landfill closure?

Yes. Operating hours at Pumice Valley Landfill and Transfer Station will expand to Monday through Saturday, 8AM – 4PM.In addition, Mono County will continue to monitor Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) activity to maintain a high level of service in a manner that is cost effective. Please monitor the Mono County Solid Waste website as it is updated for various additional services when they become available, or call the Solid Waste Department at (760) 932-5453.

20. Why did Benton Crossing Landfill close?

Benton Crossing Landfill is located on land owned by the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP). Mono County’s lease with LADWP provides that no new Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) may be accepted after December 31, 2022.

21. Why didn’t Mono County just get an extension to the lease?

Mono County was required to prepare closure plans, with specific deadlines, cost projections and funding reserves. Landfill projections determined the amount of Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) delivered to Benton Crossing Landfill and delaying closure would require an amendment to those plans. This would be very costly and would impact costs to the customer.

22. Will there be any changes at Benton Transfer Station?

No. Operations at Benton Transfer Station will remain the same. This change affects the Benton Crossing Landfill only.

23. Is this change better for the environment?

Starting on January 1, 2023, Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) will no longer be buried at Benton Crossing Landfill, and will instead be transported out of California into Nevada for burial, resulting in local environmental benefits. First, it will reduce concern regarding groundwater contamination – since Benton Crossing is an unlined landfill. Second, landfill operations at Benton Crossing Landfill will no longer negatively impact the Bi-State-Sage Grouse, which is a species currently being considered for listing under the Endangered Species Act. While Mono County has implemented management practices to reduce those impacts, closure of the landfill will ultimately eliminate the impacts altogether.