CCW - Initial Permit
- Complete the application and gather supporting documents
- Email to make an appointment
- Submit paperwork and complete Live Scan
- It typically takes 90-120 days to receive your criminal background check from the Department of Justice.
- Once that is received, the Sheriff’s Office will review the completed application packet and determine whether good cause exists to grant or deny the license.
- You will be contacted:
- if there are any issues
- to make an appointment for a thumbprint and to pick up your license
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO BRING TO YOUR APPOINTMENT:
- Completed Standard Initial and Renewal Application for License to Carry a Concealed Weapon (including Section 7)
- Signatures under the Public Disclosure Admonition, Section 6, and Section 8 will be signed during your appointment
- Any firearms listed on the application must be registered. This can be completed through the Attorney General website.
- Proof of Mono County residency
- Current driver license - or -
- Voter Registration
- DMV driving record printout
- Three Character Letters
- Certificate indicating completion of an approved CCW course of up to 16 hours.
- The course must have been completed within 6 months of applying for a CCW.
- Written verification from a recognized firearms instructor that you can safely manipulate and fire each weapon listed on the application.
- The current Fee is $108.00 for Initial Permit
- Payment is accepted in Exact cash or Check
- Initial Permits are now accepted and paid online: HERE
- Request for Live Scan Service form
- Complete middle section only
- You will complete the Live Scan during your appointment
- Call 760-932-7549, opt 5 to schedule Livescan
IF THE SHERIFF ISSUES YOU A CCW LICENSE, THE FOLLOWING RESTRICTIONS APPLY:
- Your license will be valid only within the State of California.
- Your license will be subject to any and all reasonable restrictions or conditions the Sheriff deems warranted, including restrictions as to the time, place, manner, and circumstances under which you may carry the concealed firearm.
- Your license will be valid for a period not to exceed two (2) years from the date of issuance.
- You will notify the Sheriff’s Office in writing within ten (10) days of any change of place of residency. If you move out of Mono County, your license will expire ninety (90) days after you move.