APRIL is Child Abuse Prevention Month.
April was first declared Child Abuse Prevention Month by presidential proclamation in 1983. Since, then April has been a time to acknowledge the importance of families and communities working together to prevent child abuse, and to promote the social and emotional well-being of children and families.
In November of 2001 the Mono County Child Abuse Prevention Council (CAPC) was established. The Mono County CAPC works year-round to lead a community wide effort to reduce child abuse and neglect through supporting training, activities, resources, and programs that encourage safe, healthy, and resilient families!
This year we have Blue Pinwheel displays and Child Abuse Prevention Yard Signs being distributed throughout Mono County. The Blue Pinwheels are the national symbol for child abuse and neglect prevention. “Shining in the sun, the pinwheel is reflective of the bright future ALL children deserve!” – unknown.
The Mono County Child Abuse Prevention Council (CAPC) and other agencies have planned the following activities for the month of April to spread awareness about Child Abuse and Neglect in Mono County.
Child Abuse Prevention Month April 2022 Events & Activities:
- April 1st Wear Blue Day. Please join us on Friday, April 1st by sharing a picture of you and your colleagues, friends or family wearing blue and what prevention means to you! For example, you can say “We wear blue to raise awareness for Child Abuse Prevention Month. #WearBlue4KidsMONO”.
- April 1st Children’s Memorial Flag Raising Ceremony from 10:30-11:30 outside of the Mammoth Lakes Court House. The Children’s Memorial Flag Raising Ceremony is an opportunity for our community to raise awareness for the children that have lost their lives to abuse and neglect throughout the state. We encourage you to join us in person or watch it on the Facebook Live Event on the Mono Strengthening Families Facebook Page. For more information please refer to the flyer attached.
- April 22nd Resilience Symposium Hosted by CASA of Eastern Sierra. To register please follow this link: https://casaeasternsierra.org/resilience-symposium/
- April 26th Introduction to Resilient, Trauma Informed Leadership Leading with Intentions in the Midst of Chaos. This training for leaders provides an introduction to the neurobiology of trauma and toxic stress, the principles of Trauma-Informed Care, and the science of resilience. April 26th, 2022 3:30-5:00 Pm Pacific Time. To register please follow this link: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIuceCvqD0sGdUMwpHkjikLnTc-LxH...
- · Blue Pinwheels displays throughout Mono County
- Keep an eye out for stories read by community members to help strengthen our children’s social emotional competence & Child Abuse Prevention Tips on our Strengthening Families Mono County Facebook page.
For more information on the CAPC and a list of CAP Month activities, please visit the CAPC website https://monocounty.ca.gov/capc or follow us at https://www.facebook.com/StrengtheningFamiliesMonoCounty
To increase your awareness of the Risk Factors and the Protective Factors please visit: https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/childabuseandneglect/riskprotecti....
It is a community wide effort to end and prevent child abuse and neglect.
To report suspected child abuse and neglect in Mono County, please call:
1-800-340-5411 or 911 (if an emergency)
Trafficking Hotline 24-Hour Confidential Help Call 1-888-373-7888 or text HELP or INFO to BeFree (233733)
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children 1-800-843-5678 (1-800-THE-LOST)