Hazardous Materials Business Plans

Hazardous Materials Business Plans (HMBPs) are filed electronically on the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS) website.  Click the link below to set up your username and password then complete the pages.

                                                                       CERS website

The following documents are generally required to be uploaded in CERS:

  • Site Map(s) - A site map that contains north orientation, loading areas, internal roads, adjacent streets, storm and sewer drains, access and exit points, emergency shutoffs, evacuation staging areas, hazardous material handling and storage areas, emergency response equipment, and additional map requirements the governing body of the unified program agency finds necessary.  Maps should be reasonably to scale and can be drawn by hand.
  • Emergency Response Plan and Training Plan - This 4-page template will be acceptable for the majority of facilities (farms are typically exempt from this requirement).  The Training Plan is embedded in the Emergency Response Plan therefore you may indicate in CERS that the Training Plan is "Provided Elsewhere in CERS".   https://calepa.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2017/05/CUPA-Documents-eTemplates-Contingency.pdf .


Look for the thick gray bars.  On the gray bar will be the green "Start" button.  Click start on all gray bars as you complete the submittal. 

Business Activities page - The first page in CERS is the Business Activities page.  Facilities that store above-threshold amounts of hazardous materials will click "yes" to the first question.  If you store hazardous waste in small amounts (for example waste lacquer thinner in 5-gallon pails)  and none of your hazardous materials are above-threshold then answer "no" to the first question and "yes" to the third question.  If your facility stores above-threshold hazardous materials and generates hazardous waste then answer "yes" to the first and third questions.  Make your way down the page and click "save" at the bottom.

Business Owner/Operator Page - this is the contact information page.  Be sure to include an email in the Environmental Contact section as that is the email that messages will be conveyed through CERS.

Chemical Inventory Page - this is where you will add the hazardous materials and hazardous waste inventory such as "used oil", "carbon dioxide", "waste paper and plastic filters", "gasoline", "waste paint related solids", etc.  If the item is not listed in the CERS library then click on the large green button to the right "unable to find my chemical" and enter the information.  Common hazardous waste codes are "221" for used oil and "134" for waste antifreeze.  There is a link to look up the waste codes on the page. 

Site map - see above.

Emergency Response and Training Plans - see above.

Finishing the submittal - after all the pages have been completed, click on the "Submit" button and follow the directions.

Getting help - if you have any questions feel free to contact Debbie Larson, REHS at dlarson@mono.ca.gov or (760) 924-1847 direct .