Mono County

Welcome to the Building Division

  • About the Building Division

    Welcome to the Building Division home page.


    Permits are required when there is new construction to a building as well as some repair work or alterations to an existing structure. In addition, when a building is to be remodeled, renovated or enlarged, a permit will be required. New work consists of any new construction, commercial or residential, from vacant ground to a completed new structure. Projects that are considered cosmetic, such as painting, carpeting, adding new wallpaper, cabinets, and trim work, do not require a permit. If you have any questions concerning your specific project, please feel free to contact us.

  • Building Permit Applications

    Complete building permit application: Use this application for projects such as new single-family residences, new commercial buildings, additions and detached structures over 500 sq.ft. It is highly recommended that applicants contact building division staff to discuss submittal requirements.

  • Limited Density Owner Built Rural Dwellings

    Mono County has passed a Limited Density Owner Built Rural Dwelling Ordinance allowing owners of very remote properties to build small residentail structures without full compliance of the latest version of the California Building Code.  Give us a call for more information.

  • Waiver of Permit Fees For Alternative Energy Projects

    The Mono County Board of Supervisors has approved a resolution to waive permit fees for energy efficiency and alternative energy projects. Qualifying projects are residential and commercial solar, and ground-source space and water conditioning systems with a maximum project valuation of $75,000 each.

  • Round Fire Recovery

    Round Fire recovery information, including Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and general information.