Mono County

Welcome to the Building Division

  • About the Building Division

    Welcome to the Building Division home page.


    Permits are required when there is new construction to a building as well as some repair work or alterations to an existing structure. In addition, when a building is to be remodeled, renovated or enlarged, a permit will be required. New work consists of any new construction, commercial or residential, from vacant ground to a completed new structure. Projects that are considered cosmetic, such as painting, carpeting, adding new wallpaper, cabinets, and trim work, do not require a permit. If you have any questions concerning your specific project, please feel free to contact us.

  • Building Permit Applications

    Complete building permit application: Use this application for projects such as new single-family residences, new commercial buildings, additions and detached structures over 500 sq.ft. It is highly recommended that applicants contact building division staff to discuss submittal requirements.

  • Round Fire Recovery

    Round Fire recovery information, including Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), general information, and rebates.

  • Waiver of Permit Fees For Alternative Energy Projects

    The Mono County Board of Supervisors has approved a resolution to waive permit fees for energy efficiency and alternative energy projects. Qualifying projects are residential and commercial solar, and ground-source space and water conditioning systems with a maximum project valuation of $75,000 each.