Mono C.U.R.E. Business Assistance Program
ROUND TWO APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED THROUGH 5:00pm DEC. 2, 2020
MONO C.U.R.E. (County Unified Recovery Effort) is a business assistance grant program designed to provide assistance to businesses in unincorporated Mono County who are experiencing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the statewide Stay-At-Home Executive Order and the subsequent mitigations mandated for business operations. This program is designed to provide “bridge” funding for small businesses, help retain local jobs, keep storefronts tenanted, and support the local economy in light of the ongoing public health emergency.
Financial support in the amount of $400,000 (total for Rounds 1 and 2) for the MONO C.U.R.E. program comes from Mono County’s CARES Act funding allocation, as approved by the Board of Supervisors on Sept. 15, 2020. This program will help eligible small business owners in unincorporated Mono County impacted by COVID-19 to stay afloat during this unprecedented time.
All qualified small businesses are encouraged to apply for a one-time MONO C.U.R.E. grant. Awards will not exceed $10,000, although amounts may vary depending on number of eligible applicants. Grant funding may be utilized for most business costs including rent or mortgage, payroll, utilities, insurance, loan payments related to running the business and any other documented cost of business operations, with the exception of property taxes, (CARES Act regulations specifically preclude the use of this funding for property tax payments).
MONO C.U.R.E. BUSINESS ASSISTANCE PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
All businesses in unincorporated Mono County (outside the Town of Mammoth Lakes municipal boundary) may apply, including sole proprietorships with or without employees, as well as those who received Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) and Economic Injury and Disaster Loan (EIDL) assistance, and/or other financial assistance.
TIER ONE: Priority will be given to those who did not receive Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) or other assistance funding, (this is a requirement of this particular County funding source through the CARES Act).
TIER TWO: All other eligible businesses, including those that received PPP, EIDL or other assistance funding. Businesses that received grants in the first round of Mono C.U.R.E. are not eligible.
*** EVERY ELIGIBLE BUSINESS IS ENCOURAGED TO APPLY***
- Businesses must make less than $2,000,000 in gross revenues in the prior year (January 1, 2019 – December 31, 2019) from operations within unincorporated Mono County.
- Businesses must have a physical, commercial storefront and/or be an establishment with which the business and the public interfaces. The business location must be in unincorporated Mono County.
- Businesses must have been in operation, with a current business license, for one year prior to March 30, 2020.
- Businesses must demonstrate financial hardship resulting from COVID-19, and a minimum of 10% loss of revenue from March 1, 2020 – August 30, 2020 compared to March 1, 2019 – August 30, 2019.
- Applicants and their businesses must be in good standing with Mono County with no outstanding fees, debts, tax delinquencies (property tax/Transient Occupancy Tax, etc.) or warrants.
- Businesses must currently be open for business or intend to re-open once allowed to do so (or, if seasonal, at the usual reopening timeframe) in compliance with Mono County and State of California orders and restrictions.
The following businesses are not eligible:
- Businesses that received funding in round one of the Mono C.U.R.E. are not eligible for round two.
- Home-based businesses or businesses without a physical, commercial storefront.
- Lending and investment institutions and insurance companies.
- Businesses operating inside the Town of Mammoth Lakes municipal boundary.
- Franchise businesses that are not independently owned and operated within unincorporated Mono County.
- Businesses without a valid Mono County business license.
- Businesses engaged in any illegal activity according to local, state, or federal laws or regulations.
- Subcontractors under a primary business license, such as hair stylists or estheticians in a salon.
- Business owners or businesses with any of the following:
- Pending bankruptcy or insolvency proceedings
- Outstanding judgments or tax liens
- Conviction of fraud
- Delinquency of federal tax payment or a federally regulated loan
- Suspension or debarment from contracting with the federal government or receiving federal funds
- Some business owners who are or have been involved in legal or financial issues may not qualify. These include but are not limited to:
- Bankruptcy, insolvency proceedings
- Outstanding judgments, tax liens, pending lawsuits
- Conviction of a criminal offense committed during and in connection with a declared disaster
- Delinquency of federal tax payment or a federally regulated loan
- Suspension or debarment from contracting with the federal government or receiving federal funds.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do I apply?
MONO C.U.R.E. grant applications will be available on the Mono County website (MonoCounty.ca.gov/Economic Development) beginning Thursday, November 19, 2020 through Tuesday, December 2, 2020 at 5:00pm. Only complete applications with all exhibits/documents will be accepted. In addition to the application form, the following supporting documents will be required:
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form W-9
- Income statements, Profit/Loss Statements showing at least a 10% loss of revenue for the period of March 1, 2020 through August 31, 2020 compared to March 1, 2019 through August 31, 2019.
- 2019 financial statements or tax returns sufficient to demonstrate eligibility criteria which show less than $2,000,000 in annual gross revenue.
PLEASE NOTE: These documents are for grant eligibility purposes only and will not be shared beyond the review committee unless required by law.
What are the restrictions for MONO C.U.R.E. funds?
The funding for this program is restricted to pandemic relief for small businesses specifically to offset business costs including rent or mortgage, payroll, utilities, insurance, loan payments related to running the business and most other documented cost of business operations (except property tax payments, per the CARES Act funding regulations).
How were the MONO C.U.R.E. grant guidelines established?
The Mono County Economic Development Department has developed the grant guidelines based on other business assistance programs (Town of Mammoth Lakes, City of Novato, Inyo County), with review and approval by the Mono County Board of Supervisors. The Review Committee will evaluate applications and eligibility.
Who is on the Review Committee?
A Review Committee will verify the applications and related documentation. The committee will include Economic Development staff as well as Town of Mammoth Lakes Community/Economic Development Staff. Two members of the Mono County Economic Development, Tourism and Film Commission will be consulted, but individual business financials will not be shared.
How and when will MONO C.U.R.E. grants be allocated?
Round two of the grant application period will begin Thursday, November 19, 2020 and will close at 5:00pm on Tuesday, December 2, 2020. After evaluation of applications and determination of eligibility, funding allocations will be finalized before December 10, 2020.
How much will the individual grants be?
Grants will be disbursed in amounts not to exceed $10,000 per award. First priority will go to businesses in Tier One that did not receive PPP/EIDL or other funding assistance – but all eligible businesses are strongly encouraged to apply. If the number of eligible applicants is greater than the amount of funding at $10,000 per award, the total available funding will be divided equally among applicants.
How much money will be available?
Funding for round two is $100,000. Please note that there is no guarantee or obligation on the part of Mono County that all monies must be disbursed. This program has limited funding and may be discontinued at any time or upon the expenditure of all available funds. The County’s decision on any application shall be final, and the terms of this program may be amended, or the program itself eliminated, at any time without notice.
Are program grants taxable as gifts or income?
Possibly. Grant recipients should consult with their tax advisors.
Are short term rental property owners (Airbnb, VRBO, etc.) eligible for grants?
No; short term rentals do not have a physical commercial storefront thus are not eligible. Additionally, short term rentals in residential land use designations are not eligible.
Nov. 19, 2020: Program application portal/link open to receive applications for Round Two.
Dec. 2, 2020: Application closes at 5:00pm; applications will be screened by staff and submitted to Review Committee for verification of eligibility.
Dec. 10, 2020: Grantees will be notified of award status by December 10, 2020, and awarded by December 30, 2020.
Mono County is an equal opportunity provider of services and programs and will not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, disability, age, medical condition, ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran.