April 14, 2016
End of Flu Season!
- Evidence shows that influenza activity continues both in California and nationally, but at low and decreasing levels. Locally, influenza levels are now below baseline.
- This year’s vaccine is a close match for the types of flu in circulation, and is one of the most effective seasonal influenza vaccines in years.
- All orders and recommendations for masking of healthcare workers who have not been vaccinated are cancelled immediately.
- However, everyone should always:
- Try to avoid close contact with sick persons as much as possible.
- Stay home from work or school when you are sick!!
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rub.
- Sierra Park Clinics (Family Med and Pediatrics in Mammoth Lakes) and Mammoth Hospital Emergency Department (ED) have not reported any positive influenza tests, or hospitalizations for pneumonia or influenza in the last reporting week ending April 9th.,
- Southern California counties are still reporting elevated levels of flu activity, although declining. The overall severity is less than last season. Flu detections and illness are at expected levels for this time of year, but hospitalizations and deaths are now very low.
- In California, there have been a total of 88 influenza-related deaths in persons <65 years of age.
Click any thumbnail image to view a slideshow